Saturday, December 20, 2008

Walking in a Winter Wonderland

It's been another snow filled week... perfect weather for skiing, but we have too much work to do before Christmas comes. It's sheer torture, I tell ya.

One thing about Duluth I find interesting; the roads are actually easier to drive on after it snows because the snow fills in all the potholes! Of course, I am half joking, but only half...

Solei finished her science project this week; she planted some seeds and talked to them to see if that would help them grow... So all these little dirt cups have been invading my kitchen counter the last few weeks -- not the most appetizing sight, but it's for a good cause... Grow flowers, grow! Take no heed that it is below zero outside, it is springtime in the kitchen...

A few days ago Sierra and I accomplished a secret Christmas delivery, I can't say much more than that because then it wouldn't be a secret now, would it? :) We had fun together, trying to be sneaky and make our getaway in knee-deep snow, hoping we wouldn't get caught. We were regular criminals!! :)

I think we have about 2 feet of snow now, more in some parts. I had to scrape it off the trampoline because it was drooping something fierce, I thought the springs might snap. The snow even comes up to our front window...
I took the kids outside with our tube sleds and pulled them around, Kina even helped. It took her a while to catch on, but she gave us a few good pulls down the hill (It was new snow and not slippery enough to slide unaided).


We then ventured through knee deep snow over to the pond. To my amazement it was not frozen over yet, just slushy... Now, how is that possible when the temperature has been below freezing for the past month??? I guess we won't be ice skating on that for a while. There are places to skate all over town though; at the school, at the park... hockey is the big sport here. Anyways, it was a fun little jaunt -- chilly, but fun. Thank goodness for hot chocolate.




2 comments:

Debbie Hadley said...

Interesting Science project. Do the seeds get water too, or just a good earfull?!!

Liz said...

WOW! No kidding, you've got snow! How fun to be able to go ice skating so many places. It sounds like great fun your way :)