Sunday, December 13, 2009

Chillin' Out

It was Saturday afternoon, and my kids were all getting ready to go to school, enthusiastically.

Before you ask what sort of illness has struck our household, let me explain...


Every winter, a bunch of hockey parents get together and turn the school soccer fields into ice rinks, complete with warming hut, zamboni, and snack bar. Yes, it's free...but you have to bring your own skates, which I had stocked up on at yard sales this last summer. This is what makes winter bearable here; free ice skating (and the other thing is the $5 ski hill a few minutes from our house).


Taron and Ella had never attempted skating before but were anxious to try it. Taron picked it up pretty fast with the help of a...well, I don't know what you call it, but the picture will explain...



Ella took a little more work...




But she soon started to figure it out...

And eventually was on her way...

Sierra met up with friends and had a grand ol' time...

So, winter, bring it on... we're ready for you.

3 comments:

Fairy Godmother said...

We have those "walkers" at our ice rink here...but we pay an arm and leg to skate there. That is awesome!!! What wonderful winter memories your kids will have.

Debbie Hadley said...

I've never seen a contraption like that, pretty cool. It looks so cold there, I'm glad you find ways to enjoy it!

Dan, Pam and Family said...

What a smart idea, I haven't been ice skating in forever. I'd probably have to start out with one of those little support thingys now a days.
Ella is so darn cute!
Loves,
Pam