Sunday, October 12, 2008

Moving in

We are finally in our new home...sort of. Half of our worldly goods are still in boxes but we are here. The kids are in school now so I can begin to dig out of the mess...

Leaving our home on Lakehurst was a sad day, lots of goodbyes and tears. It is always hard to know you cannot return to the memories you have made. I passed out cookies and Books of Mormon to my neighbors that week and bade them farewell, wishing I had done more to get to know some of them. I knew the girls and their friends were taking the move hard, but when I found a heartfelt goodbye note from one of Caden's friends I bawled my eyes out. I didn't realize how close they had become...

When we moved to Iowa, the kids had to work hard to catch up in school because the schools there are more advanced, but now it is the opposite... They are working on things in math that our kids did two years ago. Solei has been in band now for two years, but in Duluth they are just beginning... "Mom, all they do is play 'duh duh duh' over and over again!" Maybe it is time for private lessons. The schools they are in are rated as some of the highest in the state, but funding is low and they are even talking about shortening the school day by an hour (the kids are all for that, probably some teachers too!).

The Smith family camera has gone missing since the move so that explains why I don't have any more photos, but I'm going crazy because Duluth is so beautiful right now... color everywhere... not just on the trees, but the ground is covered in leaves too (great for kids, not so much for dads). I have never seen so many leaves! The woods are starting to show their depth, and today there was a cool fog mingling in the trees in a beautiful, eerie sort of way. I really need to find my camera, but only heaven knows where the movers put it! I did find a tiny photo on the local newspaper website... so it is not mine but it will give you a little idea of how it looks here in the fall...



We have had three weeks of conference in a row... Stake conference in Iowa the week before we moved, General conference the weekend that we moved, and now Stake conference again this weekend in Duluth... the kids are more than ready to have regular church meetings again.

"Why did the chicken cross the road?" That is Taron's favorite question right now... and the answer is always something different, like "because he was a banana" or "he wanted to scratch his foot". Even Ella thinks it is great fun and they can hold a whole conversation about adventurous chickens and the reasons for their expeditions.

Whenever Chris and I go out to dinner here, it seems like we see someone from the ward. Last weekend, we went to a little Mexican restaurant after the Saturday night session of stake conference and about 10 other members showed up! It was fun getting to know them, and I think Chris even made a new hunting buddy.


Well, that's about it for now... gotta run.

1 comment:

Debbie Hadley said...

I'm so glad you made it! Moving is so hard emotionally, and physically. I wish I was there to help you. That picture is beautiful.