Sunday, April 19, 2009

Over the River and Through the Woods -- Part II

We have a wonderful nature center not far from our home, with reptile exhibits, a bird watching station and animal puppet theater for the kids. There is no charge to visit, only for the programs, so it is a great place to entertain little kids. In the winter they have cross country skiing and snowshoeing, but now that the snow is all melted you can hike the trails in plain shoes again. We strolled up the path to Hartley Pond and threw twigs and rocks in the water and watched as they went over the waterfall -- a good lesson in what floats and what sinks.


On the trail

Crossing the waterfall



We don't really need to drive to get out in nature here though, just a half-block away from our home lie endless wooded trails, with fish-laden streams and ponds, riddled with all sorts of wildlife. Chris, Sierra and I took advantage of it on Saturday and went mountain biking. It was pretty muddy still, but we powered our way through the mucky spots and walked our bikes up the big hills (we are definitely out of shape!). I can't describe how much I love being out in nature like that, there is just something about the way it refreshes the spirit. We are anticipating this summer thoroughly; the harsh winters are definitely worth the reward you get in the summer.

I didn't take my camera with me that time, but I'm sure we will go again soon, so watch for photos in the near future.

Later that day, the primary had an "After Easter Egg Hunt"; everyone brought eggs filled with coins and at the end they dumped them all in a jar to give to the ward mission fund. I thought it was a clever way to raise money. We also had samples of the feast Jesus ate, with fish, bread and honeycomb.

Making banners to send to the missionaries


Counting the Loot


The fruits of their labors

5 comments:

Dan, Pam and Family said...

LOVE the idea of using easter eggs to collect money for the missionaries. I'm going to have to remember that one for sure.
Our ward is FULL of small kids and there has never been a missionary from our ward yet so we don't have as many missionary centered activities as we could.
I'm still not so sure about warm weather making winter worth it however. We have yet to get more then a couple of nice days in a row. I'm hoping this week will finally break the streak and let Spring fully kick in.
Pam

J and A said...

Oh, Hartley is such a gem of a place! I'm so glad you get to enjoy and explore it! Josh and the kids can walk down the street past a few houses, cross Woodland and then they are on a trail to Hartley. They snowshoed a few times this winter and go on occasional hikes.

Great pictures of the Easter Activity too! Thanks for sharing! -Anna

Me, Myself and I said...

Another wonderful Easter!! LOVE the missionary fund idea! What a GREAT what to put missionary work into the minds of kids! LOVE the nature walk! The kids are growing up so fast....and are SO stinking cute!

Unknown said...

(this is sierra) when she said WE ARE OUT OF SHAPE she meant THEY are out of shape but they are not. they are kidding. trust me.

Debbie Hadley said...

How fun that you have so many fun places to explore outdoors. I'm so glad it is warming up for you.