Sunday, January 18, 2009

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

I know many places have snow days, but here we have "cold" days -- too cold for the kids to go to school. I think if it is below -20 or so, that is when they cancel. Thursday and Friday were "cold" days, and Monday is a holiday, so we had an unexpected 5 day weekend!

Unfortunately, I'm still under the weather, so we couldn't take advantage of it much.


(Full Moon)

I didn't realize how dangerously cold it was until I went out Wednesday night.
After dropping Solei off at church for YW, I decided to grab some groceries. Going into the store wasn't too bad, it was in the negatives but I didn't even have to zip up my coat. Coming out however, was a different story. The wind had picked up something fierce, and by the time I got in the car, my hands were frozen stiff. They were still burning with cold when I returned to the church, and that is when the horror hit me -- I had let Kina out right before I left home... I had killed our dog!!!
Frantic, I ran to the phone on the wall and dialed home..."pickup pickup pickup!"
Finally a voice, "Sierra, get dad! It's an emergency!"
Short silence...seemed like forever, then a "hello?"
"Chris! Did you let Kina in (please say yes, please say yes)?"
"I think she's in, yeah she's right here."
(Huuuuuuuuge sigh of relief).
.
It took me about another half hour to thaw my hands and regain enough energy to stand up.
I've now learned the first two rules of Minnesota living...Always bring gloves, and never let the dog out before leaving.
.
Thursday and Friday, Chris was in Fargo-- talk about cold! I worried the whole time that his car would break down and he would be stuck in the middle of nowhere with those dangerous temperatures.
.
A visit to Sarah and Jesse down in Florida isn't sounding so bad right about now.

1 comment:

Debbie Hadley said...

Wow, I've never heard of "cold days." I guess I can't complain anymore. I'm glad the dog survived. (~: