Monday, July 20, 2009

Tradition



Many moons ago, a family gathered together for a grand powwow on the fourth day of the seventh month to celebrate their land of inheritance. Lingering around magical fires they watched as the colors ascended to the great sky. Tremendous feasts were held, games were played, and knowledge was passed from the elders to the younger generation. As time passed, however, this great family spread it's wings like an eagle and soared apart to far corners of the land, and the celebrations together ceased. The sons now all had families of their own to provide for, and the difficulty of the hunt made it hard for them to return home for the celebration... Until one magical year when it all somehow came together...

The parents ornamented their children in the traditional colors and jewelry...





And after the great feast, a special ceremony was held in honor of the ancient ones who fought for their nation...






Rumors of war were afloat, so preparations were made for a great battle...



And war broke out...



Fortunately the war ended with no bloodshed. However, the same could not be said for the traditional game that came next...


Soon the night spread over the land, and mystical lights filled the sky to the south.


A great fire was lit in front of the family lodge as the firedancers wove their magic reeds...



As the night wore on, the kids wore out, and soon the family departed once again to their own homes.


Thank to our founding fathers for a great nation, and to our family for a great 4th of July! Thanks for all the trinkets and glowy things, for the yummy food, the heartfelt devotionals, the grand tank wars, the games, and of course, thanks for another awesome "cul-de-sac of fire". It was definitely worth the trip!

5 comments:

Leslie said...

That is the cleverest post you've ever written! I absolutely loved how you did that! So much fun! Glad you guys made it out and glad that you made it home safely. Great memories we were all able to make this summer. Thanks for being such a big part of it!

Me, Myself and I said...

GREATEST 4th of July post EVER! I am SO glad we all had a chance to spend time together - even if the time together was short! Our kids have forever memories and it was GREAT to see everyone again! THANK YOU for making such a HUGE effort to bring your family to Utah! It would NOT be the same without you guys!

Debbie Hadley said...

You are so creative! I get teary eyed just reading that. I miss everyone! I'm so glad you guys came to Utah. I love how you cropped the pictures. The one of us siblings looks awesome!

Dan, Pam and Family said...

Cindy,
You are amazingly talented! What a fun post to read. It captured our 4th of July perfectly. You inspire me to attempt to be more creative.
I've so glad your family was able to make it our way this summer, the memories will last a lifetime.
Thank you,
Pam

Grapefruit said...

Too bad we missed you this year, I think we may have been in UT at the same time! And I never knew you guys used to go to Lake Powell? Where was I? And HOW do you live in that cold weather? Those ice skating pictures are killing me! Move to AZ already!