Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Diagnosed

I just got back from the rheumatologist and thought I better write all this down before I forget...

Speaking of forgetting, do you know how embarrassing it is to finally meet your doctor and he says, "Well, I haven't seen you in a while," and you just stare at him with a stupid look and finally ask, "Ummm, have I been in here before?"... to which he replies, "Yeah, it's been what now, a year?"

Apparently I had met and talked with him a year ago but had no recollection. I remember getting some labwork done, but no memory of meeting with a rheumatologist. He must have thought me insane, but he was kind enough not to mention it.

The good thing is, since I had already been there, they had a bunch of bloodwork already done on me and the diagnosis was easy... although not a good one...

I definitely have rheumatoid arthritis and sjogren's syndrome, and they are running more tests to check for lupus...which I do have the antibodies for but not all the symptoms right now... hopefully it stays that way...

I'm glad to finally know that my suspicions were founded at least, and to know what the enemy is so I can work at fighting it.

As far as the memory loss goes, at least now I have an excuse (that's the sjogren's syndrome)...

8 comments:

Holli said...

I am sorry to hear your bad news. That's not good news. Health issues are quite frustrating!! I know. I will keep you in my prayers.

Tammy said...

Wow. I am glad you are not crazy, but sorry to hear your news. As you say, though, it is always better to know what you are dealing with. Keep us posted. We will be thinking of you.

Leslie said...

Well, that's not great news, but it's good to have a diagnosis and be able to move forward in helping the symptoms right? Hope you and the doctor are able to figure out what works best for you really soon!

Fairy Godmother said...

So sorry to hear that Cindy. I'm sure I must have that syndrome too since I can barely remember what we had for dinner yesterday!

Sarah said...

As I sit here reading this I can hardly believe my eyes. I can't believe that is your diagnosis! I want to cry. I'm so so sorry cindy. I'm praying for you so hard. I want to see you and all the fam so bad and can't wait till you get here :( xoxo
-Sarah

Liz said...

Hi Cindy,
I am sorry to hear about your diagnoses. I will also keep you in my prayers. Lane's cousin has r.a. and 5 children. She is hanging in there, and I'm sure would be a good resource if you wanted to connect with someone. Now if I could just remember her name.... (Just kidding).
I wanted to tell you what an awesome mother you are and how much I enjoy reading your blog every 4 months :) (That's what it feels like). You do such a great job enjoying your children! How blessed they are to have you!!!! Thanks for doing such a great job in sharing your joys (and sorrows) with us!

Dan, Pam and Family said...

O Cindy,
I'm so sorry you have to deal with this.
You are an amazing person with amazing talents.
Excited to see you soon.
You are in our prayers.
Hugs,
Pam

Debbie Hadley said...

I'm so sorry Cindy! I wasn't familiar with sjogrens so I did some googling....sounds awful!!!...then on top of that to have R.A.! We have all been praying for you and will continue to do so. You're AMAZING!