Sunday, June 6, 2010

Hungry but Happy

Just thought I would throw on an update about my suspected rheumatoid arthritis, I still haven't gotten into the doctor but have an appointment for later this month, the first rheumatology appointment takes a while to schedule apparently.

Some have suggested my problem might be carpal tunnel or some other nerve condition, but this is in my toes, my shoulders, my hips, my knees, as well as my hands... they are just the worst part. Another possibility is lupus, which I do have the antibody for... but I don't get the face rash. Or lymes disease... there are a lot of ticks here. I guess I will find out in a few weeks.

Anyways, I am doing a bit better...

Last weekend I took some ibuprofen and we went to the lake. Freed from my excessive inflamation, I was able to swim and even wakeboard for a few minutes. That did wonders for my spirits, to think I still may have some time.

But the next day, the ibuprofen wore off and I could hardly get out of bed, my joints ached so bad. I didn't want to live on ibuprofen every day, so another alternative I found was a very strict vegetarian, gluten-free, milk-free, salt-free, anti-inflamatory, elimination diet, (along with taking my Reliv). Basically all I eat now are certain fruits and veggies (no tomatoes, potatoes, peppers or other "nightshades"), olive oil, and rice. I feel very oriental.

So far I have improved to the point of feeling like I am on ibuprofen, but without taking ibuprofen. The swelling in my fingers has gone down quite a bit too, although my wedding ring I put on a few months ago is still relentlessly stuck. Dang knuckle.

Eventually I can try adding things back into my diet, but will have to watch and see what affects me. Milk is reported to be a common offender, and I've often suspected I might be a bit lactose intolerant...

So... Goodbye, yogurt. Farewell, cheese. Sayonora, ice cream. Hasta la vista cheesecake. Sigh...

6 comments:

Tammy said...

Cindy, good for you for being so proactive and looking for things you can do. I hope you continue to improve. Good luck at the doctor. I always feel better if I at least know what I am dealing with. You get in all the boating you can in the meantime.

Debbie Hadley said...

I had no idea you felt pain all over your body, I thought it was just your hands. We have been praying for you. I really hope the doctor can figure out what's wrong and provide some relief.

Leslie said...

That is so scary. I'm so sorry. I know how active you are and being a busy mom of 5 has got to be so hard to deal with the pain. I hope they'll be able to diagnose what is wrong and help you work up a plan that is right for you. Our love and prayers are with you.

Leslie said...

That is so scary. I'm so sorry. I know how active you are and being a busy mom of 5 has got to be so hard to deal with the pain. I hope they'll be able to diagnose what is wrong and help you work up a plan that is right for you. Our love and prayers are with you.

Fairy Godmother said...

Wow, Cindy...you've got it rough. I'm thinking arthritis might be the solution to my weight probelm...if I had to give up all those things you listed that I love. I'll stick with the fat, however. Your predicament does not sound fun. You are so active, I'm just so sorry you are having this experience. You're in our prayers!

Sarah said...

Man, that's really stinks. So sorry Cindy. That's a pretty slim diet, but if it helps with the pain I guess it's worth it. You're in our prayers