Yes, as I mentioned in the last post, we went to the lake. It was obvious the next day at church when we all showed up with sunburns.
Yes, sunburns... in Minnesota.
Unfortunately I had lost my camera again, so I don't have any photographic evidence of our fun (I recently dreamt it was under the seat in my car, and yes, that is where I found it).
The sun beamed down on an 80 degree Saturday, with water temps in the low 70's.
Yes, 70's... in a Minnesota lake.
Although we had to actually wait for two other boats to launch that day (the most we've seen here), the lake appeared empty of other skiers... just beachgoers and fishermen... so we had the water to ourselves.
It was so sad to leave.
So we went again. Monday. With friends.
This time we set up camp on an island and left the dogs there to romp while we played in the water. Soft sand lined the beach, and there were no other people for the dogs to bother. We watched them run along the sand as the boat went by, maybe a little worried that we would forget them, but we didn't. As I watched them, I couldn't help thinking how blessed we were.
But it wouldn't be possible if it weren't for all those who fought for our freedoms. All those who gave their lives so we could live ours. It's easy to forget as we go about our daily lives, but I feel that it is important to remember their sacrifice, and to do what we can to keep the freedoms we have here. Even though we might not fight on the battlefield, we can do our part to maintain things on the homefront, so that what they fought for isn't lost to the politics of the day.
So while they stood guard overseas, let us stand vigilant on the homefront...and never forget.
3 comments:
We really are so blessed! Sounds like you guys had a great day!
Sounds like a perfect day. Those feelings of gratitude are certainly more profound on a day of remembrance like Memorial Day. It's a very important day in Dave's family -- his father served his career in the Air Force. He died retired, but when we remember his dad, we remember all who serve and have served. We truly are blessed...you are so right!
It is refreshing to read your feelings about Memorial Day. Too often I fear the real significance of the day is just lost to pure recreation or "sales" at the mall. As a country we've been given so much. Glad to see you are trying to pass that appreciation down through another generation. Your mom would be proud.
Post a Comment